Navel oranges 79¢ lb
Fair Trade tomatoes $1.99 lb
Baby bok choi $2.69 lb
Celery 99¢ lb
Cucumbers $1.29 lb
Eggplant $1.79 lb
Zucchini $1.19 lb
Green beans $2.99 lb
Red & green leaf lettuce $$1.99 ea
Romaine $2.29 ea
Red bell peppers $2.69 lb
On the vine, fair trade tomatoes $2.99 lb
Pomegranate $1.99 lb
Bosc and D’anjou pears $1.69 lb.
New and interesting:
Mellow Gold grapefruits from Buck Brand. This is a great, low-acidity, yellow flesh grapefruit. Modern grapefruits are a cross of pummelos and oranges. Mellow Gold and Rio Star grapefruit are both on sale, $1.69/lb. Daisy tangelos and clementines are in as well, $2.49 lb, same as satsumas. Avocados will be fair trade this week. Local greens are frozen, so the kale and chard we have in the store will be coming from further away for a while.
(L-R) Galangal, Tamarind, Turmeric (oh my!)
Product Focus: Fresh Turmeric!
Why is fresh turmeric good for me?
“Turmeric has long been used in India, where it is a venerable ingredient in Ayurvedic medicine, used to heal wounds and treat skin conditions such as psoriasis. Turmeric contains compounds that have powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. A growing body of research supports the notion that one such compound, curcumin, can inhibit the growth of cancer cells. Last year, one study found curcumin was more effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis than prescription anti-inflammatories.” (Borrowed, with our gratitude, from The Guardian, March 9, 2013)
The anti-inflammatory aspects are what people are most stoked on. It also tastes great! Be careful when peeling or cutting it: it will turn everything yellow. (And will permanently stain clothing.) It’s frequently used in vegetable juices, which is a good way to get a big dose of it. Use sparingly in place of dry turmeric. It has an earthy, tart, and somewhat spicy flavor. Try using it in slaws, Indian dishes, and marinades in particular.
It’s on sale right now for $11.69. That’s $3 off the regular price!
Providing optimal amounts of valuable minerals, this easy-to-consume, tasty supplement is great for ensuring bone health, immune support, and supplying overall nutrient needs. Many nutrients often compete with each other for absorption in the body, therefore we added minerals in proportionate ratios for proper nutrient assimilation. It is well known that calcium is essential for bone, teeth and muscle health. Magnesium, phosphorous and vitamin D also aid in forming strong bones. Zinc assists a multitude of enzymatic reactions throughout our body. All of these beneficial minerals come together in a convenient liquid delivery system.
I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! This year was super low key for my family; we were all pretty worn out from the week, so we spent the day in our jammies and slippers. The week of Thanksgiving is pretty hectic at the Co-op, as we try to make sure you all have a warm and wonderful holiday. By the end of the day Wednesday, I am ready to go into hibernation mode for a re-charge of the smile-o-meter. I get great joy out of making sure your experience with us was a pleasure.
I take pride in my customer service ability, with full knowledge that YOU are the most important person in the building and I am grateful you choose to spend your time with us. Now this being said, to maintain this through out the holiday I need time to fill my tank.
How do I do this you ask? I play!!
Paint, knit, play ball with my dogs, and, of course, I bake. Here is the latest treasure I made.
Gluten Free Pecan Pie Cookies (Paleo and Vegan)
For the filling:
- 1/3 cup dates, chopped
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
For the cookie base:
- 2 1/4 cup blanched almond flour, gently packed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
To make the filling:
- Cover the chopped dates in 1 cup of hot water and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the maple syrup, coconut oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Stir until the coconut oil is just melted and then remove from heat.
- Drain and discard the hot water from the dates, and place the dates in a blender with the saucepan contents. Blend until smooth, pour back into the saucepan (so you don’t dirty another bowl), and then stir in the sea salt and chopped pecans. Set aside.
To make the cookie base and form the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond meal, sea salt, and baking soda. Whisk in the coconut oil until the dough resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the maple syrup, vanilla, and almond milk. Start with 1 tablespoon of almond milk and add another tablespoon only if the dough needs more moisture to pull it together.
- Roll the dough into balls (using about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough each) and place on the cookie sheet. Flatten the balls of dough and use your fingers to make a well (or indentation) in the middle of the cookies.
- Generously fill the cookies with the pecan pie filling (and I do mean generously fill, otherwise you will be left with a lot of filling left over).
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the bottoms of the cookies are golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to completely cool on the cookie sheet (otherwise they will fall apart).
Yes, we do have many options when it comes to buying your green superfoods, and now we have one more! Amazing Grass is grown and harvested in the United States on a family-run farm in the great state of Kansas, and they have a few unique flavor options that could just get you sipping your greens each day. Their Pineapple Lemongrass is fresh and vibrant just mixed in with water, or could be added to your green smoothie for extra zip!
Amazing Grass also offers powdered meal options too. These are a great way to get essential nutrients when traveling or if you tend to skip meals during the day. Another unusual and tasty flavor is Cafe Mocha! This is for folks who like that bitter-sweet flavor of coffee in the morning (and that caffeine kick!) and also want some added nutrition to get them going.
Both are on sale now, and are available in single serving packets, so you can give it a try for cheap!