Skagit Valley Food Co-op is a not-for-profit organization whose purpose is to provide good food at a low price. As stated in the Co-op bylaws:
“The Co-op shall promote member welfare by utilizing their united effort for the purchase and distribution of commodities in accordance with the following criteria…”
• Maintain the not-for-profit status of the Co-op
• Offer high quality products that contribute to good nutrition
• Support an low-impact,non-harmful approach to the environment
• Support local suppliers and producers
• A commitment to building a cooperative economy and supporting others who share that commitment
• A commitment to educational programs relevant to members and non-members in the community
The 7 CO-OPERATIVE PRINCIPLES
We’re open to everyone who wants to use our services and who is willing to accept membership responsibilities.2) Democratic member control
We’re a democratic organization controlled by you,our members,through votes and elected representatives.3) Members’ economic participation
Members contribute equally to and democratically control the capital of the Skagit Valley Food Co-op.
4) Autonomy and independence
SVFC is an autonomous organization controlled by our members. We won’t be bought!
5) Education,training and information
SVFC provides education and training for its members,elected representatives,managers and employees,so they can contribute effectively to co-op development.
6) Cooperation among cooperatives
We serve our members most effectively and strengthen the cooperative movement by working together with other co-ops through regional,national and international structures.
7) Concern for community
While focusing on member needs,SVFC works for the sustainable development of our community.