Ok stay with me on this one,I know it sounds a tad bizarre but you have to trust me here. I have recently delved into the land of Tapas. Little tiny foods much like appetizers or snacks. I recently bought the world’s BIGGEST watermelon and since it’s just the fella and I,I had to get creative with what to do with the melon beast. I came across a recipe for Chorizo and Watermelon on crusty bread. I know you’re thinking I’ve lost my mind or at worst my taste buds but the spicy chorizo,sweet and juicy watermelon and the crunch of rustic bread is a an explosion of yummy in your mouth.
- 2 hot chorizo sausages,sliced
- 3 medium-sized heirloom tomatoes,chopped
- 2-3 cups chopped watermelon
- crusty,rustic bread,sliced
- 1 large garlic clove
- extra virgin olive oil
- baby arugula
- about 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Heat a medium-sized sauté pan over high heat. Add in the chorizo (no added oil) and cook for a few minutes. Add in the tomatoes and cook for just a minute.
- Add the chorizo/tomato mixture to a large bowl with the watermelon. Toss well together.
- Toast the bread slices and while they are still warm,rub each with the garlic clove. Drizzle each slice with a bit of the olive oil.
- Top each piece of toast with a few leaves of arugula. Spoon on the chorizo/watermelon mixture,and then top again with more arugula leaves.
- Add the sherry vinegar to the hot pan that you cooked the chorizo in and stir it around to deglaze the pan. Pour the vinegar over the bread. Serve!
Now for a quick beverage….
- 3 cups 1-inch cubes seeded watermelon
- 2 cups frozen quartered hulled strawberries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Combine all ingredients in blender and process until smooth.