We order a limited number of range-raised turkeys from Diestel Turkey Ranch in Sonora,California,which are processed to order, flash-frozen, and delivered direct to us the week before Thanksgiving and Christmas. These birds are frozen only on the exterior, so the interior stays fresh without requiring a long defrost time.
We will start taking pre-orders for Turkeys on Saturday,December 1,2012. Please place your turkey order with a cashier at the checkout stand. A $5 deposit (non-refundable) is required. Pick up begins Friday, December 14, 2012. Please let any cashier know when you arrive, then they can find your turkey whilst you do your other shopping.
Free-Range (not Certified Organic) Turkeys :$2.79 lb
These turkeys are free-ranging,are vegetarian fed and are hormone and antibiotic free.
Organic Free-Range Turkeys :$3.69 lb
In addition to the above free-range specifications,these turkeys are fed certified organic feed,raised on certified organic land,and are slaughtered in a certified organic slaughterhouse. They are not allowed to mix with the non-organic free-range birds.
Since 1949,when the Diestel family started range growing turkeys on their ranch in the Sierra Foothills near Sonoma,CA,they’ve been slowly growing a reputation for exceptional flavor,tasting like “everything a turkey should be”. The Diestels ascribe their success raising turkeys to an old fashioned approach:
- Giving their birds a healthy start in brooder facilities controlled for warmth,food,water,and lighting.
- Giving their birds freedom to roam the Sierra Foothills of the ranch land,with clean mountain water,fresh air,and room to move.
- Feeding their birds a vegetarian diet,free from animal by-products,growth stimulants,and hormones. The Diestels mill and mix the bird feed themselves.
- Giving their birds extra time –two months!- to grow and develop flavor.
- Processing their birds in their own USDA inspected facility,which exceeds industry standards and is located right on the ranch.
-Packing their birds directly at the ranch,the final step in oversight and care,from beginning of the birds lives as poults,to end up on your holiday table.